Learning All About Sleep Stages at Your Mount Dora, FL, Apartment
Most likely, you’re aware that there are multiple stages of sleep that everyone passes through during an average night of snoozing. You are probably familiar with the term REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. But do you know exactly what happens during each sleep stage? If not, here’s an easy breakdown:
• Stage 1 (light sleep) – During this stage, you may feel as if you are drifting in and out of sleep. This stage can last from 5 to 10 minutes.
• Stage 2 (onset of sleep) – At the onset of sleep, you gradually become unaware of your surroundings and you begin having simple, short dreams. This stage lasts for about 20 minutes.
• Stage 3 (first phase of deep sleep) – A combination of slow and fast brain waves emerge as you transition from light to deep sleep.
• Stage 4 (second stage of deep sleep) – This is when the muscles are relaxed and slow brain waves take over. It’s also when tissue growth and repair occurs.
• Stage 5 (REM sleep) – During this stage, the brain is active and dreams are more detailed. While your muscles are turned off, your eyes are hard at work, darting back and forth behind your eyelids.
Going through all five stages listed above is called a sleep cycle. A sleep cycle can take about 90 minutes to complete and doesn’t always happen cyclically. (So, you may go through the different stages more than once before falling into stage 5, REM sleep.)
Remember, the average adult needs seven to eight hours of sleep per night. To get the recommended hours at your Mount Dora, Florida, apartment, make sleep a priority by going to bed at a decent hour. This will help ensure you wake up refreshed.
Our Veranda Apartment Homes are beautiful places to live, as they feature professionally designed color schemes in beige, taupe, or gray. This color is reflected in the walls, ceiling fans, cabinets, light fixtures, deep pile carpeting, and ceramic tile. To learn more, or to take a tour of our community, contact us today or stop by our leasing office.