Whether you’re getting into the fall spirit or are decorating your Veranda apartment home for a holiday, carving a pumpkin is an excellent craft idea that can accomplished in a single afternoon. Even if you’ve new to pumpkin carving, you can create an interesting design in a few simple steps. Here’s all you need to do to create a jack-o-lantern at your Veranda apartment:
• Start with a fresh pumpkin. Rotten pumpkins not only look and smell bad, but they are soft and unreliable for cutting. The size of your chosen pumpkin doesn’t matter, as long as there is enough space for you to carve your design.
• Rinse the pumpkin with water to remove any dirt before you begin cutting.
• Using a water-soluble marker or pen, trace a square along the stem at the top of your pumpkin. Using a sharp knife or cutting implement, carefully cut along the marker line and remove the top.
• After you’ve detached the top “lid”, use a spoon to scoop out any seeds or meat from the inside of the pumpkin until it is as clean as possible.
• Now you’re ready to start carving! Carefully draw or trace your design onto the pumpkin, using a damp cloth to erase any mistakes or make changes. Once your drawing is complete, use a smaller knife to cut along the lines you drew. Make sure that your cuts are not superficial, but instead go through the inside wall of the pumpkin.
• Once you’re done carving, gently push out the pieces you cut from inside the pumpkin. Then, all you have to do is put the top back on, and your carved pumpkin is complete.
• If you plan to have your pumpkin lit from within, simply remove the top of your pumpkin again and insert a portable LED lamp or another type of small light bulb. Avoid using candles, since they can dry out your pumpkin and be a fire hazard, especially if you intend to display your newly carved pumpkin indoors.
If you follow these steps closely, you’ll soon have a gorgeous pumpkin to display in your Mount Dora apartment. Of course, our spacious apartments at Veranda Apartment Homes offer plenty of room to decorate to your heart’s desire.
To learn more about renting one of our available units, or for a personal tour of our many upscale community amenities, contact our leasing office today.