Learning About Baseball at Our Apartments in Mount Dora, FL
Baseball is a sport that has been around for more than two hundred years. Early forms of the game first appeared in England in the mid-18th century, and it was brought over to the United States where its popularity quickly grew. By the late 19th century, baseball became the national sport of the United States and it’s a well-loved American pastime to this day.
Baseball is a fairly easy game to understand, but there are certain terms anyone who wants to learn about the game should know to establish a working knowledge of the sport. These terms include:
• Base hit – when a batter safely reaches first base after hitting the ball into fair territory
• At bat – a player’s officially recorded turn at batting
• Batting average – a statistic that measures a player’s hitting success by dividing his total number of hits by his total at bats
• Bunt – to deliberately bat the ball weakly to a particular spot in the infield
• Curveball – a pitch that curves, or breaks, from a straight or expected flight path toward home plate
• Fastball – a pitch that is thrown more for high velocity than for movement
• Home run – a hit that allows the batter to circle all the bases, ending at home plate and scoring a run himself
• Inning – consists of two halves, in which both teams bat until three outs are recorded per team
There are many more baseball terms you will learn if you decide to follow the sport more closely, whether that means watching Major League Baseball or by reading a book on baseball.
If you’re looking for apartments in Mount Dora, Florida, consider Veranda Apartment Homes. Our beautiful apartments are color-coordinated and feature washer and dryer connections, nine-foot ceilings with crown molding, and modern GE appliances. To learn more, contact us today.