How to Make a Mouth-Watering Cuban Sandwich
Few foods are able to match the simplicity and deliciousness of a hot-pressed sandwich. One of the most popular sandwiches in the state of Florida is the Cuban, or Cubano. This unique dish is a Latin variation of the grilled ham and cheese sandwich. Requiring only a few simple ingredients, the Cuban sandwich is easy to make and scrumptious to eat.
The main ingredients in a Cuban sandwich include cooked ham, roasted pork, swiss cheese, dill pickles, and mustard – Dijon or yellow mustard work best. Additionally, a sandwich isn’t a sandwich without the bread. Cuban bread is the most traditional choice for the Cubano sandwich, but Italian or French bread also works well. The amount of ingredients can vary by personal preference, so sandwich lovers can stack their rolls with as much or as little meat, pickles, cheese, and mustard as desired. Those interested in making this hand-held dish should:
- Preheat a griddle, frying pan, or other flat cooking vessel to medium heat
- Slice the bread in half lengthwise and spread mustard on one or both sides depending on preference
- Butter or oil the outside of the bread to help it crisp and brown during cooking
- Layer the pork, ham, cheese, and pickles on the bread, and place the sandwich on the cooking surface
- Then place another heavy cooking vessel on top of the sandwich to press it down, creating the signature flat appearance of the Cuban sandwich
- Press for one to two minutes, remove the press, flip the sandwich, and press again for an additional minute or two
- Once the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, the sandwich is ready to eat
Those looking to make and enjoy a Cuban sandwich can do so in the spacious kitchens at our apartments in Mount Dora, Florida. To learn about our community, contact the leasing office today.