Drying Fruit in Our Mount Dora, Florida Apartments
Dried fruit is a delicious and nutritious snack that can be eaten any time of day. There are plenty of grocery stores near our apartment community that sell all varieties of dried fruit, but you can make your own dried fruit snacks from home at just a fraction of the cost. In fact, our Mount Dora, Florida apartments, and the full kitchens inside each one, make for the perfect place to dry all sorts of fruit.
Follow these steps to have your own dried fruit in just a short time:
- Select your fruit. You can choose whatever variety you want. Any fruit is dryable, but favorites include mangos, oranges, pineapples, and apricots.
- Wash and peel your fruit. Remove the pit or seeds if there are any, and slice the fruit into thin strips.
- Dry the fruit either in the heat of the Florida sun or in your oven. If drying in the oven, lay out your fruit strips onto a non-stick cookie sheet, heat your oven to 145 degrees, and bake the fruit for four or more hours, until the fruit is dry.
- Pasteurize your fruit by either freezing it for several days or heating it at 175 degrees for 15 additional minutes.
- Store the fruit in a plastic bag in your refrigerator, and enjoy at your leisure.
Be sure not to dry too much fruit, though, so you still have some time for all of the great amenities we have to offer. For additional information regarding Veranda Apartment Homes, please fill out a form on our Contact Us page or stop by our leasing office today. We hope to hear from you or see you soon.